In November 1915, public health campaigners Dr. Mary Booth and William Brooks established a Returned Soldiers' Association (RSA) and Soldiers' Club at the Royal Hotel on George Street, Sydney. The RSA hoped to 'bind the returned soldiers together, to give them new and wider interests, and, if possible, assits them to get work'. ('Returned Soldiers' Association', Sydney Mail, 22 December 1915: 28, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article162493956).
The association established kiosks for returned soldiers in Hyde Park and published Anzac Memorial, marking the 'names and deeds of the soldiers and sailors of Australia and New Zealand'. (Sekuless & Rees, Lest we forget: the history of the Returned Services League 1916-1986, p.22)